Justine Puren-Calverley / FirstPencil Represented Outside South Africa.
A lovely film and commercials director whose work will woo you.
Justine’s Featured Work
Justine’s work is inspired by narrative, love and making things better and beautiful. She has an understanding of concept and storytelling which is supported by her AFDA honours degree in Animation and Writing. She’s worked in research, film, TVCs and music video production/directing. She’s paired her keen eye with her attention to detail for brands like Clover, Kelloggs, DSTV, Dettol, Andolex and 8ta.
As a researcher, Justine learned the ropes when working under South Africa’s most renowned directors Greg Gray, Keith Rose, Dean Blumber and Trevor Clarence. She’s also worked at companies like Studio Zoo, What We Want, Velocity Films and Quizzical Pictures. Her work has won awards at AFDA, The Loeries, Durban International Film Festival and the Recontres Henri Langlois Festival. She’s also had a special mention at the Cape Winelands Film Festival.
Her solo directing career launched in 2012 when she directed a famous music video for Toya Delazy. These days, she also dabbles in documentaries and stop motion.
Justine is also currently a director at FirstPencil, an all female South African production company.
Masters & Savant. Be Moved.
- Best Animation – AFDA Festival
- Durban International Film Festival
- Loerie Awards – Silver Craft Award
- Recontres Henri Langlois Festival
- Visionara 17 Film Festival
- Apollo Film Festival – Best Short Film
- Special Mention – Cape Winelands Film Festival
- Best Student Director – SAFTA’s
- Best Student Film – SAFTA’s
- Anima Film Festival
- War Museum – Loeries Award – Bronze Lion
- War Museum – Loeries Award – Silver Loerie